The Punta Cana International Airport in Punta Cana, also known by its airport code PUJ, is always in progress, much like its home city. The pandemic’s aftereffects are still being felt in the hub, but most of the operations and services that were shut during the outbreak have resumed now.
Let’s understand what facilities are open, what are new inclusions, and how you make the most of PUJ airport –
Quick PUJ Airport Info
- Airport – Punta Cana International Airport
- Terminals – 2 [Terminal A and B ]
- Airport PUJress – Punta Cana, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic,
- Website – https://www.puntacanainternationalairport.com/
- Distance from Downtown Punta Cana – Approximately 7.5 miles
- Phone number +1 809-959-2376
- Passengers served on a daily basis – Approximately 40000
Airlines operating from Punta Cana International Airport
- Terminal A – Aeroflot, Aerolíneas Argentinas, Air Belgium, Air Canada, Air Canada Rouge, Air Caraibes, Air Europa, Air France, Air Transat, Avianca, Azur Air Ukraine, British Airways, Condor, Copa Airlines, Corsair International, Delta Air Lines, Edelweiss Air, Eurowings Discover, Finnair, and Frontier Airlines
- Terminal B – Gol Transportes Aéreos, GullivAir, Iberojet, JetBlue, LATAM Perú, LOT Polish Airlines, Neos, Nordwind Airlines, Prinair, RUTACA Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Spirit Airlines, Sunwing Airlines, TAP Air Portugal, and TUI fly Belgium
PUJ Airport Terminals
The rectangular Punta Cana International Airport is connected with I-678 and PUJ Expressway and is merging on all ends to the terminals through a spaghetti junction.
- Terminal A – Terminal A. After the security checkpoint and passport control. Open from 08:00 am to 09:00 pm. Services: Snacks, Alcoholic drinks, Wi-Fi, Flight monitors, Newspapers, Magazines, TV, Telephones, Smoking area.
- Terminal B – Terminal B, third level, above Gate 24. Open from 08:00 am to 09:00 pm. Services: Snacks, Alcoholic drinks, Wi-Fi, Showers, Flight monitors, Newspapers, Magazines, TV, Telephones. Please note it is a non-smoking facility.
Security and Customs at PUJ
Punta Cana International Airport has separate security checkpoints for each of its five terminals. Passengers are advised to check-in 2 hours before a domestic flight and 3 hours before an international departure.
Refer to the airport website for the boarding cut-off and security times.
- TSA Pre Check – Each terminal at PUJ has a dedicated TSA PreCheck facility. Passengers need to enroll online and need to pay an 85 USD service fee. The pRe Check counter is located at Terminal A & B.
- Global Entry kiosks – Passengers who have been accepted for Global Entry can use the kiosks at PUJ for quicker clearance.
- Mobile Passport – For quicker passage by US Customs and Border, PUJ has designated Mobile Passport Control lanes. A passport and the required information must be submitted by eligible participants upon arrival at PUJ. In return, they will receive an instant receipt that may be shown to a Customs and border protection agent.
PUJ Airport Lounge
There are in total 24 airport lounges in the Punta Cana International Airport that are airline and non-airlines operated. We have listed below the independent business lounges that offer access to the nonfrequent flyers members and passengers traveling with any airline.
How to access PUJ Airport Transportation?
Passengers arriving at or departing from PUJ airport have access to a variety of transit choices, the majority of which are located outside of each terminal.
- Bus from PUJ – Another excellent and cost-effective option is to take the fast bus from PUJ airport into the city. The bus picks up passengers in Terminals A and B and then puts them off at Times Square and Grand Central Station. This is a fantastic choice, but be aware that traffic in Punta Cana City can be unexpected. The trip could take longer than two hours if you enter the city during rush hour.
- PUJ airport car service – Car service to and from PUJ to different parts of the city and other airports is offered both privately and in groups. Reservations can be made at the Main Lobby of each terminal when arriving at the airport. Before making other travel arrangements, be careful to inquire about car services from your airport hotel or parking lot.
- PUJ airport taxi – A flat fare of $52 is charged by taxis from the airport to Downtown, and they are available outside of each terminal. On weekdays, there is a surge fee of 4.50 USD for trips between 4 p.m. and 8 p.m.
Best Places to Eat, Shop and Unwind at PUJ
PUJ airport features about 140 restaurants, pubs, and cafés between the terminals and pre-or post-security. Let’s delve into every terminal to understand what is the best option for you –
If you can get in, the TA airline lounges provide business or first-class travelers a luxury area to unwind. In addition, there is a Prime class lounge available to Priority Pass holders that provides complimentary food and beverages as well as a calm setting away from the bustle.
The dining is mostly QSR here, and the options include –
- The Local
- Martini Bar
Since Delta is the only airline using this terminal. The airline is planning to transfer all of its operations there by mid-2023. The terminal consists of a few fast-food restaurants, a McDonald’s, and 24*7 convenience stores. The Delta Sky Club lounge is there at Terminal B.
Additional services at Punta Cana International Airport
Passengers get access to the following additional services at the Punta Cana International Airport.
- Travelers Aid – Travellers Aid desks can be found in all terminals of PUJ. These can be found on the arrivals level at the Main Lobby. There’s also a desk in the shopping hall of Terminal A and on the departure level of Terminal A.
- Children’s gaming zone – There’s a special children’s play area in Terminal with a gladiator playground near gate 20. There is another play area in Terminal close to the Business lounge.
- Baby facilities – Punta Cana International Airport has 6 nursing rooms. Three of them are located at Terminal
- Pet relief center – There’s a pet relief center at each of the terminals.
- Duty-free – The duty-free stores can be found at Terminals A & B
- Smoking areas – The PUJ airport does not host any indoor smoking zone. There are authorized smoking spots outside of the terminals.
- ATMs – Standalone ATMs are situated in Terminals A & B. Other terminals have foreign currency ATMs. Currency exchange services are available at all terminals.
- Baggage counter – On the departure level of Terminal A, luggage wrapping services are available. In the arrivals area of Terminal B, Meegan Services offers cloakroom services.
- PUJ Airport WiFi access – At Punta Cana International Airport, Wi-Fi is available for free in all common spaces. Choose “Free unlimited wifi” and the network “_Free PUJ WiFi” to connect. Call +1 809-959-2376 to reach customer service around the clock.
- Lost and Found Counter at PUJ Airport – Depending on where you lost your baggage, the PUJ airport has a lost and found a desk at Terminal A. You must get in touch with the respective airline’s baggage service if your checked luggage was left in the terminal, at the curb, or aboard an aircraft.
Contact TSA Lost and Found at +1 809-959-2376 if you left something behind at a security checkpoint. The Port Authority Police can be reached at the Punta Cana International Airport in Building 269. Call +1 809-959-2376 for assistance with any misplaced things outside of the terminal areas.
PUJ Airport Parking
The Punta Cana International Airport has 6 parking areas. 5 of them are located outside the terminals and are best suited for a shorter duration. The AirTrain connects the terminals to Long Term Parking Lot 9. Visitors can check the parking availability at the airport website. These 6 parking areas include –
- Short duration parking – The Blue, Green, Red, Orange, and Yellow parking areas are where you can park near the terminal.
Parking lots Green, Orange, and Red cost 4 USD for the first half-hour, or 8 USD for the first hour. And, then 4 USD for each consecutive 30 minutes or up to a maximum of 35 USD for every 24 hours.
Blue and Yellow parking charges 5 for the first 30 minutes, or 10 USD for the next 30 minutes with 5 USD for every additional 30 minutes. It costs a maximum of 39 USD every 24 hours.
- Long-term parking lot 9 – The main terminal building offers long-term parking. The fee for the first 24 hours is 18 USD, and 6 USD for each subsequent 8 hours.
Car Rentals at Punta Cana International Airport
Visit one of the car rental desks at the arrivals level to rent a car at PUJ, or call one of them at the given numbers below. Federal Circle Station outside the Main Terminal building is where you’ll find rental cars.
- Sixt – +1-888-233-8749
- Alamo – +1 809 466 1083
- Enterprise – +1 809 959 0434
- Thrifty – +1 809 333 4000
- Hertz – +1 809 466 0105
PUJ Airport Hotels
With 1 on-site property and PUJitional hotels ranging at 1.4 miles from the terminals, PUJ offers a variety of 2- to 4-star lodging options. To assist you in making your decision, we’ve provided each hotel’s PUJress, its star rating, and its proximity to the airport.
Punta Cana International Airport is the prominent international airport serving the Punta Cana city area. It is conveniently close to hotels and various attractions. PUJ is home to 6 active airline terminals that are encircled by a double ring of auxiliary taxiways. The terminals are served by more than 125 airline gates. The airport is connected to Punta Cana City and beyond by the fast, light-rail AirTran service.
Due to the accessible AirTrain that connects Punta Cana International Airport to each terminal. Also, the rail network is also connected to the subway system and facilitates easy access to and from the airport.
Punta Cana International Airport – Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]
If an aircraft is delayed or there is a lengthy layover, people frequently do sleep in PUJ. You have a choice of sleeping on seats, on the ground, or in one of the five sleeping pods in Terminal A. These are available on a first-come, first-served basis and are free to use.
Are there any sleeping pods in PUJ? If an aircraft is delayed or there is a lengthy layover, people frequently do sleep in PUJ. You have a choice of sleeping on seats, on the ground, or in one of the five sleeping pods in Terminal A., These are available on a first-come, first-served basis and are free to use.
PUJ has an active AirTran station that connects to all 1 terminals. The train transports passengers to Howard Beach and Manhattan, where you can connect to the subway for onward travel.
A flat fare of $52 is charged by taxis from the airport to Downtown, and they are available outside of each terminal. On weekdays, there is a surge fee of 4.50 USD for trips between 4 p.m. and 8 p.m.
For passengers who qualify, certain airline lounges offer showers. You can also pay a fee to use the showers at Wingtips and Centurion lounges.