The Matecana International Airport in Pereira, also known by its airport code PEI, is always in progress, much like its home city. The pandemic’s aftereffects are still being felt in the hub, but most of the operations and services that were shut during the outbreak have resumed now.
Let’s understand what facilities are open, what are new inclusions and how you make the most of PEI airport –
Quick PEI Airport Info
- Airport – Matecana International Airport
- Terminals – 1
- Airport address – Pereira, Risaralda, Colombia
- Distance from Downtown Pereira – Approximately 4.5 miles
- Phone number +57 6 3148151
Airlines operating from Matecana International Airport
- Terminal 1 – Avianca, Avior Airlines, Copa Airlines, EasyFly, LATAM Colombia, and Viva Air Colombia
PEI Airport Terminals
The rectangular Matecana International Airport is connected with I-678 and PEI Expressway and is merging on all ends to the 1 terminal through a spaghetti junction.
Security and Customs at PEI
Matecana International Airport has separate security checkpoints for each of its five terminals. Passengers are advised to check in 2 hours before a domestic flight and 3 hours before an international departure.
Refer to the airport website for the boarding cut-off and security times.
- TSA Pre Check – Each terminal at PEI has a dedicated TSA PreCheck facility. Passengers need to enrol online and need to pay an 85 USD service fee.
- Global Entry kiosks – Passengers who have been accepted for Global Entry can use the kiosks at PEI for quicker clearance. Candidates must submit an online application and schedule an interview at the departure/arrival airport. PEI conducts Enrollment on Arrival at Terminals. The airport has a Global Entry Enrollment Centre at the baggage claim area of Terminal arrivals.
- Mobile Passport – For quicker passage by US Customs and Border, PEI has designated Mobile Passport Control lanes. A passport and the required information must be submitted by eligible participants upon arrival at PEI. In return, they will receive an instant receipt that may be shown to a Customs and border protection agent.
PEI Airport Lounge
There are in total 24 airport lounges in the Matecana International Airport that are airline and non-airlines operated. We have listed below the 5 independent business lounges that offer access to the non-frequent flyers members and passengers travelling with any airline.
How to access PEI Airport Transportation?
Passengers arriving at or departing from PEI airport have access to a variety of transit choices, the majority of which are located outside of each terminal.
- Train – The Long Island Rail Road and the Pereira City Subway are connected to PEI Airport by the AirTrain PEI. The most affordable way to go from PEI to Manhattan or anywhere else in Pereira City is using this. All terminals are served by the AirTrain, which runs continuously. Although the AirTrain’s travel times vary from city to city, it is ideal to allow 90 minutes to go from PEI to midtown.
- Bus from PEI – Another excellent and cost-effective option is to take the fast bus from PEI airport into the city. This is a fantastic choice, but be aware that traffic in Pereira City can be unexpected. The trip could take longer than two hours if you enter the city during rush hour.
- PEI airport car service – Car service to and from PEI to different parts of the city and other airports is offered both privately and in groups. Reservations can be made at the Main Lobby of each terminal when arriving at the airport. Before making other travel arrangements, be careful to inquire about car services from your airport hotel or parking lot.
- PEI airport taxi – A flat fare of $52 is charged by taxis from the airport to Downtown, and they are available outside of each terminal. On weekdays, there is a surge fee of 4.50 USD for trips between 4 p.m. and 8 p.m.
Best Places to Eat, Shop and Unwind at PEI
PEI airport features about 140 restaurants, pubs, and cafés between the terminals and pre-or post-security. Let’s delve into every terminal to understand what is the best option for you – ( terminals 1 )
Additional services at Matecana International Airport
Passengers get access to the following additional services at the Matecana International Airport.
- Travellers Aid – Travellers Aid desks can be found in all terminals of PEI. These can be found on the arrivals level at the Main Lobby.
- Children’s gaming zone – There’s a special children’s play area in Terminal 5 with a gladiator playground near gate 20. There is another play area in Terminal 8 close to the Business lounge.
- Baby facilities – Matecana International Airport has 6 nursing rooms. Three of them are located at Terminal
- Pet relief centre – There’s a pet relief centre at each of the terminals.
- Duty-free – The duty-free stores can be found at Termina.
- Smoking areas – The PEI airport does not host any indoor smoking zone. There are authorised smoking spots outside of the terminals.
- ATMs – Standalone ATMs are situated in Terminals. Other terminals have foreign currency ATMs. Currency exchange services are available at all terminals.
- Baggage counter – On the departure level of the Terminal, luggage wrapping services are available. In the arrivals area of Terminal, Meegan Services offers cloak room services.
- PEI Airport WiFi access – At Matecana International Airport, Wi-Fi is available for free in all common spaces. Choose “Free unlimited wifi” and the network “_Free PEI WiFi” to connect. Call +57 6 3148151 to reach customer service around the clock.
- Lost and Found Counter at PEI Airport – Depending on where you lost your baggage, the PEI airport has a lost and found a desk at the Terminal. You must get in touch with the respective airline’s baggage service if your checked luggage was left in the terminal, at the curb, or aboard an aircraft.
Contact TSA Lost and Found at +57 6 3148151 if you left something behind at a security checkpoint. The Port Authority Police can be reached at the Matecana International Airport in Building 269. Call +57 6 3148151 for assistance with any misplaced things outside of the terminal areas.
PEI Airport Parking
The Matecana International Airport has 6 parking areas. 5 of them are located outside the terminals and are best suited for a shorter duration. The AirTrain connects the terminals to Long Term Parking Lot 9. Visitors can check the parking availability at the airport website. These 6 parking areas include –
- Long-term parking lot 9 – The main terminal building offers long-term parking. The fee for the first 24 hours is 18 USD, and 6 USD for each subsequent 8 hours.
Car Rentals at Matecana International Airport
Visit one of the car rental desks at the arrivals level to rent a car at PEI, or call one of them at the given numbers below. Federal Circle Station outside the Main Terminal building is where you’ll find rental cars.
PEI Airport Hotels
With 1 on-site property and additional hotels ranging at 1.4 miles from the terminals, PEI offers a variety of 2- to 4-star lodging options. To assist you in making your decision, we’ve provided each hotel’s address, its star rating, and its proximity to the airport.
Matecana International Airport is the prominent international airport serving the Pereira city area. It is conveniently close to hotels and various attractions. PEI is home to 6 active airline terminals that are encircled by a double ring of auxiliary taxiways. More than 125 airline gates serve the terminals. The airport is connected to Pereira City and beyond by the fast, light-rail AirTran service.
Due to the accessible AirTrain that connects Matecana International Airport to each terminal. Also, the rail network is also connected to the subway system and facilitates easy access to and from the airport.
Matecana International Airport – Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]
If an aircraft is delayed or there is a lengthy layover, people frequently sleep in PEI. You have a choice of sleeping on seats, on the ground, or in one of the five sleeping pods in Terminal. These are available on a first-come, first-served basis and are free to use.
The Pereira airport offers free WiFi at all terminals and public areas. To connect, you need to select the network ‘Free PEI WiFi’. Also, there is a 24*7 customer support is available by calling customer service.
PEI has an active AirTran station that connects to all 6 terminals. The train transports passengers to Howard Beach and Manhattan, where you can connect to the subway for onward travel.
A flat fare of $52 is charged by taxis from the airport to Downtown, and they are available outside of each terminal. On weekdays, there is a surge fee of 4.50 USD for trips between 4 p.m. and 8 p.m.
For passengers who qualify, certain airline lounges offer showers. You can also pay a fee to use the showers at Wingtips and Centurion lounges.