The Luis Munoz Marin International Airport in San Juan, also known by its airport code SJU, is always in progress, much like its home city. The pandemic’s aftereffects are still being felt in the hub, but most of the operations and services that were shut during the outbreak have resumed now.
Let’s understand what facilities are open, what are new inclusions, and how you make the most of SJU airport –
Quick SJU Airport Info
- Airport – Luis Munoz Marin International Airport
- Terminals – 5 [Terminal A, B, C, D, and E]
- Airport address – San Juan, Puerto Rico, Puerto Rico,
- Distance from Downtown San Juan – Approximately 7.7 miles
- Phone number +1 787-253-2329
- Passengers served on a daily basis – Approximately 21,000
Airlines operating from Luis Munoz Marin International Airport
- Terminal A – JetBlue uses all gates at Terminal A. Gates A1 and A2 are used by other airlines such as JetBlue Airways, Copa Airlines, Seaborne Airlines, and Silver Airways that conduct their operation from Terminal A.
- Terminal B – Delta Airlines, United Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Spirit Airlines, Air Canada, and Frontier Airlines.
- Terminal C – British Airways
- Terminal D – British Airways and Iberia
- Terminal E – The American Eagle flights were moved to Terminal D in the late 2000s before being discontinued.
SJU Airport Terminals
The rectangular Luis Munoz Marin International Airport is connected with I-678 and SJU Expressway and is merging on all ends to the 5 terminals through a spaghetti junction.
Security and Customs at SJU
Luis Munoz Marin International Airport has separate security checkpoints for each of its five terminals. Passengers are advised to check-in 2 hours before a domestic flight and 3 hours before an international departure.
Refer to the airport website for the boarding cut-off and security times.
- TSA Pre Check – Each terminal at SJU has a dedicated TSA PreCheck facility. Passengers need to enroll online and need to pay an 85 USD service fee. The pRe Check counter is located at Terminal 4.
- Global Entry kiosks – Passengers who have been accepted for Global Entry can use the kiosks at SJU for quicker clearance. Candidates must submit an online application and schedule an interview at the departure/arrival airport. SJU conducts Enrollment on Arrival at the Terminal. The airport has a Global Entry Enrollment Centre at the baggage claim area of Terminal arrivals.
- Mobile Passport – For quicker passage by US Customs and Border, SJU has designated Mobile Passport Control lanes. A passport and the required information must be submitted by eligible participants upon arrival at SJU. In return, they will receive an instant receipt that may be shown to a Customs and border protection agent.
SJU Airport Lounge
There are in total 24 airport lounges in the Luis Munoz Marin International Airport that are airline and non-airlines operated. We have listed below the 5 independent business lounges that offer access to the non-frequent flyers members and passengers traveling with any airline.
How to access SJU Airport Transportation?
Passengers arriving at or departing from SJU airport have access to a variety of transit choices, the majority of which are located outside of each terminal.
- Train – The Long Island Rail Road and the San Juan City Subway are connected to SJU Airport by the AirTrain SJU. The most affordable way to go from SJU to Manhattan or anywhere else in San Juan City is using this. All terminals are served by the AirTrain, which runs continuously. Although the AirTrain’s travel times vary from city to city, it is ideal to allow 90 minutes to go from SJU to midtown.
- Bus from SJU – Another excellent and cost-effective option is to take the fast bus from SJU airport into the city. The bus picks up passengers in Terminals 1, 4, and 8, and then puts them off to Times Square and Grand Central Station. This is a fantastic choice, but be aware that traffic in San Juan City can be unexpected. The trip could take longer than two hours if you enter the city during rush hour.
- SJU airport car service – Car service to and from SJU to different parts of the city and other airports is offered both privately and in groups. Reservations can be made at the Main Lobby of each terminal when arriving at the airport. Before making other travel arrangements, be careful to inquire about car services from your airport hotel or parking lot.
- SJU airport taxi – A flat fare of $52 is charged by taxis from the airport to Downtown, and they are available outside of each terminal. On weekdays, there is a surge fee of 4.50 USD for trips between 4 p.m. and 8 p.m.
Best Places to Eat, Shop, and Unwind at SJU
SJU airport features about 140 restaurants, pubs, and cafés between the terminals and pre-or post-security. Let’s delve into every terminal to understand what is the best option for you – ( terminals A, B, C, D & E )
Additional Services at Luis Munoz Marin International Airport
Passengers get access to the following additional services at the Luis Munoz Marin International Airport.
- Travelers Aid – Travellers Aid desks can be found in all terminals of SJU. These can be found on the arrivals level at the Main Lobby.
- Children’s gaming zone – There’s a special children’s play area in Terminal with a gladiator playground near gate 20. There is another play area in Terminal close to the Business lounge.
- Baby facilities – Luis Munoz Marin International Airport has nursing rooms.
- Pet relief center – There’s a pet relief center at each of the terminals.
- Duty-free – The duty-free stores can be found at Termina..
- Smoking areas – The SJU airport does not host any indoor smoking zone. There are authorized smoking spots outside of the terminals.
- ATMs – Standalone ATMs are situated in Terminals. Other terminals have foreign currency ATMs. Currency exchange services are available at all terminals.
- Baggage counter – On the departure level of the Terminal, luggage wrapping services are available. In the arrivals area of Terminal, Meegan Services offers cloak room services.
- SJU Airport WiFi access – At Luis Munoz Marin International Airport, Wi-Fi is available for free in all common spaces. Choose “Free unlimited wifi” and the network “_Free SJU WiFi” to connect. Call +1 787-253-2329 to reach customer service around the clock.
- Lost and Found Counter at SJU Airport – Depending on where you lost your baggage, the SJU airport has a lost and found desk at the Terminal. You must get in touch with the respective airline’s baggage service if your checked luggage was left in the terminal, at the curb, or aboard an aircraft.
Contact TSA Lost and Found at +1 787-253-2329 if you left something behind at a security checkpoint. The Port Authority Police can be reached at the Luis Munoz Marin International Airport in Building 269. Call +1 787-253-2329 for assistance with any misplaced things outside of the terminal areas.
SJU Airport Parking
The Luis Munoz Marin International Airport has 6 parking areas. 5 of them are located outside the terminals and are best suited for a shorter duration. The AirTrain connects the terminals to Long Term Parking Lot 9. Visitors can check the parking availability at the airport website. These 6 parking areas include –
- Short duration parking – The Blue, Green, Red, Orange, and Yellow parking areas are where you can park near the terminal.
Parking lots Green, Orange, and Red cost 4 USD for the first half-hour, or 8 USD for the first hour. And, then 4 USD for each consecutive 30 minutes or up to a maximum of 35 USD for every 24 hours.
Blue and Yellow parking charges 5 for the first 30 minutes, or 10 USD for the next 30 minutes with 5 USD for every additional 30 minutes. It costs a maximum of 39 USD every 24 hours.
- Long-term parking lot 9 – The main terminal building offers long-term parking. The fee for the first 24 hours is 18 USD, and 6 USD for each subsequent 8 hours.
Car Rentals at Luis Munoz Marin International Airport
Visit one of the car rental desks at the arrivals level to rent a car at SJU, or call one of them at the given numbers below. Federal Circle Station outside the Main Terminal building is where you’ll find rental cars.
- Alamo – +1-888-233-8749
- Thrifty – +1-800-331-3550
- Avis – +1-800-230-4898
- National – +1-888-826-6890
- Budget – +1-800-527-0700
- Payless – +1-800-729-5377
- Hertz – +1-800-654-3131
- Sixt – +1-888-749-8227
- Dollar – +1-800-800-4000
- Enterprise – +1-800-736-8222
SJU Airport Hotels
With 1 on-site property and additional hotels ranging at 1.4 miles from the terminals, SJU offers a variety of 2- to 4-star lodging options. To assist you in making your decision, we’ve provided each hotel’s address, its star rating, and its proximity to the airport.
Luis Munoz Marin International Airport is the prominent international airport serving the San Juan city area. It is conveniently close to hotels and various attractions. SJU is home to 6 active airline terminals that are encircled by a double ring of auxiliary taxiways. The terminals are served by more than 125 airline gates. The airport is connected to San Juan City and beyond by the fast, light-rail AirTran service.
Due to the accessible AirTrain that connects Luis Munoz Marin International Airport to each terminal. Also, the rail network is also connected to the NYC subway system and facilitates easy access to and from the airport.
Luis Munoz Marin International Airport – Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]
If an aircraft is delayed or there is a lengthy layover, people frequently do sleep in SJU. You have a choice of sleeping on seats, on the ground, or in one of the five sleeping pods in Terminal. These are available on a first-come, first-served basis and are free to use.
The San Juan airport offers free WiFi at all terminals and public areas. To connect, you need to select the network ‘Free SJU WiFi’. Also, there is a 24*7 customer support is available by calling customer service.
There are over 120 airlines, domestic and international, that fly and operate out of Luis Munoz Marin International Airport. Some of the major carriers include Air France, Air India, Delta Airlines, British Airways, Air China, Lufthansa, Emirates, and Etihad airways.
You can view the full list of airlines that operate out of each terminal of the SJU airport, in the article above.
SJU has an active AirTran station that connects to all 6 terminals. The train transports passengers to Howard Beach and Manhattan, where you can connect to the subway for onward travel.
A flat fare of $52 is charged by taxis from the airport to Downtown, and they are available outside of each terminal. On weekdays, there is a surge fee of 4.50 USD for trips between 4 p.m. and 8 p.m.
For passengers who qualify, certain airline lounges offer showers. You can also pay a fee to use the showers at Wingtips and Centurion lounges.