The Arturo Merino Benitez Airport in Santiago, also known by its airport code SCL, is always in progress, much like its home city. The pandemic’s aftereffects are still being felt in the hub, but most of the operations and services that were shut during the outbreak have resumed now.
Let’s understand what facilities are open, what are new inclusions, and how you make the most of SCL airport –
Quick SCL Airport Info
- Airport – Arturo Merino Benitez Airport
- Terminals – 2 [Terminal 1 & 2]
- Airport address – Santiago, Metropolitana, Chile
- Distance from Downtown Santiago – Approximately 10 miles
- Phone number +56 2 2690 1796
- Passengers served on a daily basis – Approximately 120,000
Airlines Operating from Arturo Merino Benitez Airport
- Terminal 1 – Aerolíneas Argentinas, Aeroméxico, Air Canada, Air France, Avianca, British Airways, Copa Airlines, Conviasa, Delta Air Lines, Iberia, JetSmart, JetSmart Argentina, KLM, LATAM Brasil, LATAM Chile, LATAM Perú, Level, Qantas, and Sky Airline
- Terminal 2 – Atlas Air, Avianca Cargo, China Cargo Airlines, DHL Aero Expreso, Ethiopian Airlines Cargo, Korean Air Cargo, LATAM Cargo Chile, Lufthansa Cargo, Martinair, UPS Airlines, & Western Global Airlines
SCL Airport Terminals
The rectangular Arturo Merino Benitez Airport is connected with I-678 and SCL Expressway and is merging on all ends to the terminals through a spaghetti junction.
- Terminal 1 – 12 gates make up Terminal 1, which is divided into 4 areas. The departure level has check-in counters. The ground floor level has a food court. The concourse level has a security checkpoint, airline lounges, shops, restaurants, and departure gates.
- Terminal 2 – Gates C60–C70 is located in Terminal 2. Along with restaurants and shopping, it features security checks.
Security and Customs at SCL
Arturo Merino Benitez Airport has separate security checkpoints for each of its five terminals. Passengers are advised to check-in 2 hours before a domestic flight and 3 hours before an international departure.
Refer to the airport website for the boarding cut-off and security times.
- TSA Pre Check – Each terminal at SCL has a dedicated TSA PreCheck facility. Passengers need to enroll online and need to pay an 85 USD service fee.
- Global Entry kiosks – Passengers who have been accepted for Global Entry can use the kiosks at SCL for quicker clearance. Candidates must submit an online application and schedule an interview at the departure/arrival airport.
- Mobile Passport – For quicker passage by US Customs and Border, SCL has designated Mobile Passport Control lanes. A passport and the required information must be submitted by eligible participants upon arrival at SCL. In return, they will receive an instant receipt that may be shown to a Customs and border protection agent.
SCL Airport Lounge
There are in total 24 airport lounges in the Arturo Merino Benitez Airport that are airline and non-airlines operated. We have listed below the independent business lounges that offer access to the nonfrequent flyers members and passengers traveling with any airline.
How to access SCL Airport Transportation?
Passengers arriving at or departing from SCL airport have access to a variety of transit choices, the majority of which are located outside of each terminal.
- Bus from SCL – Another excellent and cost-effective option is to take the fast bus from SCL airport into the city. The bus picks up passengers in Terminals 1 and 2 and then puts them off at Times Square and Grand Central Station. This is a fantastic choice, but be aware that traffic in Santiago City can be unexpected. The trip could take longer than two hours if you enter the city during rush hour.
- SCL airport car service – Car service to and from SCL to different parts of the city and other airports is offered both privately and in groups. Reservations can be made at the Main Lobby of each terminal when arriving at the airport. Before making other travel arrangements, be careful to inquire about car services from your airport hotel or parking lot.
- SCL airport taxi – A flat fare of $52 is charged by taxis from the airport to Downtown, and they are available outside of each terminal. On weekdays, there is a surge fee of 4.50 USD for trips between 4 p.m. and 8 p.m.
Best Places to Eat, Shop and Unwind at SCL
SCL airport features about 140 restaurants, pubs, and cafés between the terminals and pre-or post-security. Let’s delve into every terminal to understand what is the best option for you –
Aerolíneas Argentinas, Aeroméxico, Air Canada, Air France, Avianca, British Airways, Copa Airlines, Conviasa, Delta Air Lines, Iberia, JetSmart, JetSmart Argentina, KLM, LATAM Brasil, LATAM Chile, LATAM Perú, Level, Qantas, and Sky Airline. With names like Swarovski and Chanel available, it’s not surprising that the duty-free shopping in this terminal is excellent.
The dining is mostly QSR here, and the options include –
- The Local
- Martini Bar
The airline is planning to transfer all of its operations there by mid-2023. The terminal consists of a few fast-food restaurants, a McDonald, and 24*7 convenience stores. The Delta Sky Club lounge is there at Terminal 2.
Additional Services at Arturo Merino Benitez Airport
Passengers get access to the following additional services at the Arturo Merino Benitez Airport.
- Travelers Aid – Travellers Aid desks can be found in all terminals of SCL. These can be found on the arrivals level at the Main Lobby. There’s also a desk in the shopping hall of Terminal 1 and on the departure level of Terminal 2.
- Children’s gaming zone – There’s a special children’s play area in Terminal with a gladiator playground near gate 20. There is another play area in Terminal close to the Business lounge.
- Baby facilities – Arturo Merino Benitez Airport has 6 nursing rooms. Three of them are located at Terminal
- Pet relief center – There’s a pet relief center at each of the terminals.
- Duty free – The duty-free stores can be found at Terminals 1 & 2
- Smoking areas – The SCL airport does not host any indoor smoking zone. There are authorized smoking spots outside of the terminals.
- ATMs – Standalone ATMs are situated in Terminals 1 & 2 . Other terminals have foreign currency ATMs. Currency exchange services are available at all terminals.
- Baggage counter – On the departure level of Terminal 1, luggage wrapping services are available. In the arrivals area of Terminal 2, Meegan Services offers cloakroom services.
- SCL Airport WiFi access – At Arturo Merino Benitez Airport, Wi-Fi is available for free in all common spaces. Choose “Free unlimited wifi” and the network “_Free SCL WiFi” to connect. Call +56 2 2690 1796 to reach customer service around the clock.
- Lost and Found Counter at SCL Airport – Depending on where you lost your baggage, the SCL airport has a lost and found a desk at Terminal 4. You must get in touch with the respective airline’s baggage service if your checked luggage was left in the terminal, at the curb, or aboard an aircraft.
Contact TSA Lost and Found at +56 2 2690 1796 if you left something behind at a security checkpoint. The Port Authority Police can be reached at the Arturo Merino Benitez Airport in Building 269. Call +56 2 2690 1796 for assistance with any misplaced things outside of the terminal areas.
SCL Airport Parking
The Arturo Merino Benitez Airport has 6 parking areas. 5 of them are located outside the terminals and are best suited for a shorter duration. The AirTrain connects the terminals to Long Term Parking Lot 9. Visitors can check the parking availability at the airport website. These 6 parking areas include –
- Short duration parking – The Blue, Green, Red, Orange, and Yellow parking areas are where you can park near the terminal. Green parking links to Terminal.
Parking lots Green, Orange, and Red cost 4 USD for the first half-hour, or 8 USD for the first hour. And, then 4 USD for each consecutive 30 minutes or up to a maximum of 35 USD for every 24 hours.
Blue and Yellow parking charges 5 for the first 30 minutes, or 10 USD for the next 30 minutes with 5 USD for every additional 30 minutes. It costs a maximum of 39 USD every 24 hours.
- Long-term parking lot 9 – The main terminal building offers long-term parking. The fee for the first 24 hours is 18 USD, and 6 USD for each subsequent 8 hours.
Car Rentals at Arturo Merino Benitez Airport
Visit one of the car rental desks at the arrivals level to rent a car at SCL, or call one of them at the given numbers below. Federal Circle Station outside the Main Terminal building is where you’ll find rental cars.
- keddy by Europcar – +56 224 328 420
- Europcar – +56 2 2432 8420
- Ace – +56 2 2299 8920
- Avis – +56 2 2795 3971
- National – +56 2245 4445
- Sixt – +56 600 367 0200
- Economy Rent a Car – +56 967 968 255
SCL Airport Hotels
With 1 on-site property and additional hotels ranging at 1.4 miles from the terminals, SCL offers a variety of 2- to 4-star lodging options. To assist you in making your decision, we’ve provided each hotel’s address, its star rating, and its proximity to the airport.
Arturo Merino Benitez Airport is the prominent international airport serving the Santiago city area. It is conveniently close to hotels and various attractions. SCL is home to 6 active airline terminals that are encircled by a double ring of auxiliary taxiways. The terminals are served by more than 125 airline gates. The airport is connected to Santiago City and beyond by the fast, light-rail AirTran service.
Due to the accessible AirTrain that connects Arturo Merino Benitez Airport to each terminal. Also, the rail network is also connected to the subway system and facilitates easy access to and from the airport.
Arturo Merino Benitez Airport – Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]
If an aircraft is delayed or there is a lengthy layover, people frequently do sleep in SCL. You have a choice of sleeping on seats, on the ground, or in one of the five sleeping pods in Terminal 5. These are available on a first-come, first-served basis and are free to use.
The airport offers free WiFi at all terminals and public areas. To connect, you need to select the network ‘Free SCL WiFi’. Also, there is a 24*7 customer support is available by calling customer service.
SCL has an active AirTran station that connects to all 6 terminals. The train transports passengers to Howard Beach and Manhattan, where you can connect to the subway for onward travel.
A flat fare of $52 is charged by taxis from the airport to Downtown, and they are available outside of each terminal. On weekdays, there is a surge fee of 4.50 USD for trips between 4 p.m. and 8 p.m.
For passengers who qualify, certain airline lounges offer showers. You can also pay a fee to use the showers at Wingtips and Centurion lounges.