The Joao Paulo II Airport in Ponta Delgada (Azores), also known by its airport code PDL, is always in progress, much like its home city. The pandemic’s aftereffects are still being felt in the hub, but most of the operations and services that were shut during the outbreak have resumed now.
Let’s understand what facilities are open, what are new inclusions, and how you make the most of PDL airport –
Quick PDL Airport Info
- Airport – Joao Paulo II Airport
- Terminals – 1
- Airport address – Ponta Delgada (Azores), Portugal
- Distance from Downtown Ponta Delgada (Azores)- Approximately 3 miles
- Phone number – +351 296 205 400
Airlines operating from Joao Paulo II Airport
- Terminal 1 – Azores Airlines, Binter Canarias, British Airways, Edelweiss Air, Iberia, Lufthansa, Ryanair, SATA Air Açores, Swiss International Air Lines, TAP Air Portugal, Transavia and TUI fly Belgium
PDL Airport Terminals
The rectangular Joao Paulo II Airport is connected with I-678 and PDL Expressway and is merging on all ends to the terminals through a spaghetti junction.
- Terminal 1 – 12 gates make up Terminal 1, which is divided into 4 areas. The departure level has check-in counters. The ground floor level has a food court. The concourse level has a security checkpoint, airline lounges, shops, restaurants, and departure gates.
Security and Customs at PDL
Joao Paulo II Airport has separate security checkpoints for each of its five terminals. Passengers are advised to check in 2 hours before a domestic flight and 3 hours before an international departure.
Refer to the airport website for the boarding cut-off and security times.
- TSA Pre Check – Each terminal at PDL has a dedicated TSA PreCheck facility. Passengers need to enroll online and need to pay an 85 USD service fee. The pRe Check counter is located at Terminal 1.
- Global Entry kiosks – Passengers who have been accepted for Global Entry can use the kiosks at PDL for quicker clearance. Candidates must submit an online application and schedule an interview at the departure/arrival airport.
- Mobile Passport – For quicker passage by US Customs and Border, PDL has designated Mobile Passport Control lanes. A passport and the required information must be submitted by eligible participants upon arrival at PDL. In return, they will receive an instant receipt that may be shown to a Customs and border protection agent.
PDL Airport Lounge
There are in total 24 airport lounges in the Joao Paulo II Airport that are airline and non-airlines operated. We have listed below the independent business lounges that offer access to the nonfrequent flyers members and passengers traveling with any airline.
How to access PDL Airport Transportation?
Passengers arriving at or departing from PDL airport have access to a variety of transit choices, the majority of which are located outside of each terminal.
- Bus from PDL – Another excellent and cost-effective option is to take the fast bus from PDL airport into the city. The bus picks up passengers in Terminal 1. and then puts them off at Times Square and Grand Central Station. This is a fantastic choice, but be aware that traffic in Ponta Delgada (Azores) City can be unexpected. The trip could take longer than two hours if you enter the city during rush hour.
- PDL airport car service – Car services to and from PDL to different parts of the city and other airports are offered both privately and in groups. Reservations can be made at the Main Lobby of each terminal when arriving at the airport. Before maPDLg other travel arrangements, be careful to inquire about car services from your airport hotel or Parking lot.
- PDL airport taxi – A flat fare of $52 is charged by taxis from the airport to Downtown, and they are available outside of each terminal.
Best Places to Eat, Shop, and Unwind at PDL
PDL airport features about 140 restaurants, pubs, and cafés between the terminals and pre-or post-security. Let’s delve into every terminal to understand what is the best option for you –
If you can get in, the T1 airline lounges provide business or first-class travelers a luxury area to unwind. In addition, there is a Prime class lounge available to Priority Pass holders that provides complimentary food and beverages as well as a calm setting away from the bustle.
The dining is mostly QSR here, and the options include –
- The Local
- Martini Bar
Additional services at Joao Paulo II Airport
Passengers get access to the following additional services at the Joao Paulo II Airport.
- Travelers Aid – Travellers Aid desks can be found in all terminals of PDL. These can be found on the arrivals level at the Main Lobby.
- Children’s gaming zone – There’s a special children’s play area in Terminal with a gladiator playground near gate 20. There is another play area in Terminal close to the Business lounge.
- Baby facilities – Joao Paulo II Airport has 6 nursing rooms.
- Pet relief center – There’s a pet relief center at each of the terminals.
- Duty-free – The duty-free stores can be found at Terminals.
- SmoPDLg areas – The PDL airport does not host any indoor smoking zone. There are authorized smoking spots outside of the terminals.
- ATMs – Standalone ATMs are situated in Terminals. Other terminals have foreign currency ATMs. currency exchange services are available at all terminals.
- Baggage counter – On the departure level of Terminal 1, luggage wrapping services are available. In the arrivals area of Terminal 1, Meegan Services offers cloakroom services.
- PDL Airport WiFi access – At Joao Paulo II Airport, Wi-Fi is available for free in all common spaces. Choose “Free unlimited wifi” and the network “_Free WiFi” to connect. Call +351 296 205 400 to reach customer service around the clock.
- Lost and Found Counter at PDL Airport – Depending on where you lost your baggage, the PDL airport has a lost and found a desk at Terminal 1. You must get in touch with the respective airline’s baggage service if your checked luggage was left in the terminal, at the curb, or aboard an aircraft.
Contact TSA Lost and Found at +351 296 205 400 if you left something behind at a security checkpoint. The Port Authority Police can be reached at the Joao Paulo II Airport in Building 269. Call +351 296 205 400 for assistance with any misplaced things outside of the terminal areas.
PDL Airport Parking
The Joao Paulo II Airport has 6 Parking areas. 5 of them are located outside the terminals and are best suited for a shorter duration. The AirTrain connects the terminals to Long Term Parking Lot 9. Visitors can check the Parking availability at the airport website. These 6 Parking areas include –
- Short duration Parking – The Blue, Green, Red, Orange, and Yellow Parking areas are where you can park near the terminal. Green Parking links to Terminal 1.
Parking lots Green, Orange, and Red cost 4 USD for the first half-hour, or 8 USD for the first hour. And, then 4 USD for each consecutive 30 minutes or up to a maximum of 35 USD for every 24 hours.
Blue and Yellow Parking charge 5 for the first 30 minutes, or 10 USD for the next 30 minutes with 5 USD for every additional 30 minutes. It costs a maximum of 39 USD every 24 hours.
- Long-term Parking lot 9 – The main terminal building offers long-term Parking. The fee for the first 24 hours is 18 USD, and 6 USD for each subsequent 8 hours.
Car Rentals at Joao Paulo II Airport
Visit one of the car rental desks at the arrivals level to rent a car at PDL, or call one of them at the given numbers below. Federal Circle Station outside the Main Terminal building is where you’ll find rental cars.
- Ilha Verde – +351 296 304 859
- Alamo – +351 936 890 727
- Avis – +351 296 684 360
- Hertz – +351 296 205 435
- INTERRENT- +351 218 371 626
- Sixt – +351 255 788 199
- Wayzor – +351 296 301 805
PDL Airport Hotels
With 1 on-site property and additional hotels ranging at 1.4 miles from the terminals, PDL offers a variety of 2- to 4-star lodging options. To assist you in maPDLg your decision, we’ve provided each hotel’s Address, its star rating, and its proximity to the airport.
Joao Paulo II Airport is the prominent international airport serving the Ponta Delgada (Azores) city area. It is conveniently close to hotels and various attractions. PDL is home to 6 active airline terminals that are encircled by a double ring of auxiliary taxiways. The terminals are served by more than 125 airline gates. The airport is connected to Ponta Delgada (Azores) City and beyond by the fast, light-rail AirTran service.
Due to the accessible AirTrain that connects Joao Paulo II Airport to each terminal. Also, the rail network is also connected to the subway system and facilitates easy access to and from the airport.
Joao Paulo II Airport – Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]
If an aircraft is delayed or there is a lengthy layover, people frequently do sleep in PDL. You have a choice of sleeping on seats, on the ground, or in one of the five sleeping pods in Terminal 1. These are available on a first-come, first-served basis and are free to use.
The New York airport offers free WiFi at all terminals and public areas. To connect, you need to select the network ‘Free WiFi’. Also, there is 24*7 customer support is available by calling customer service.
PDL has an active AirTran station that connects to all 1 terminal. The train transports passengers to Howard Beach and Manhattan, where you can connect to the subway for onward travel.
A flat fare of $52 is charged by taxis from the airport to Downtown, and they are available outside of each terminal. On weekdays, there is a surge fee of 4.50 USD for trips between 4 p.m. and 8 p.m.
For passengers who qualify, certain airline lounges offer showers. You can also pay a fee to use the showers at Wingtips and Centurion lounges.