The Heydar Aliyev International Airport in Baku, also known by its airport code GYD, is always in progress, much like its home city. The pandemic’s aftereffects are still being felt in the hub, but most of the operations and services that were shut during the outbreak have resumed now.
Let’s understand what facilities are open, what are new inclusions and how you make the most of GYD airport –
Quick GYD Airport Info
- Airport – Heydar Aliyev International Airport
- Terminals – 1 & 2
- Airport address – Heydar Aliyev International Airport, Baku, Bakı, Azerbaijan,
- Distance from Downtown Baku – Approximately 14.6 miles
- Phone Number +994 12 497 27 27
- Passengers served on a daily basis – Approximately 104,000
Airlines Operating from Heydar Aliyev International Airport
- Terminal 1 – Aeroflot, air Arabia, air Astana, Azerbaijan airlines, Belavia, china southern, Etihad Airways, flydubai, flynas, gulf air, iraero, Iraqi Airways, Jazeera airways, Kuwait airways, Lufthansa, Qatar airways, s7 airlines, scat, Turkish airlines, Ukraine international, Ural airlines, utair, Uzbekistan airways, and Wizz air
- .Terminal 2 – buta airways, arkia, Iran air, israir, pegasus, smartavia, and ur airlines
GYD Airport Terminals
The rectangular Heydar Aliyev International Airport is connected with I-678 and GYD Expressway and is merging on all ends to the 1 terminal through a spaghetti junction.
Security and Customs at GYD
Heydar Aliyev International Airport has separate security checkpoints for each of its five terminals. Passengers are advised to check-in 2 hours before a domestic flight and 3 hours before an international departure.
Refer to the airport website for the boarding cut-off and security times.
- TSA Pre Check – Each terminal at GYD has a dedicated TSA PreCheck facility.
- Global Entry kiosks – Passengers who have been accepted for Global Entry can use the kiosks at GYD for quicker clearance. Candidates must submit an online application and schedule an interview at the departure/arrival airport. GYD conducts Enrollment on Arrival at Terminals. The airport has a Global Entry Enrollment Centre at the baggage claim area of Terminal arrivals.
- Mobile Passport – For quicker passage by US Customs and Border, GYD has designated Mobile Passport Control lanes. A passport and the required information must be submitted by eligible participants upon arrival at GYD. In return, they will receive an instant receipt that may be shown to a Customs and border protection agent.
GYD Airport Lounge
There are in total 24 airport lounges in the Heydar Aliyev International Airport that are airline and non-airlines operated. We have listed below the 5 independent business lounges that offer access to the non-frequent flyers members and passengers traveling with any airline.
How to access GYD Airport Transportation?
Passengers arriving at or departing from GYD airport have access to a variety of transit choices, the majority of which are located outside of each terminal.
- Train – The Long Island Rail Road and the Baku City Subway are connected to GYD Airport by the AirTrain GYD. The most affordable way to go from GYD to Manhattan or anywhere else in Baku City is using this. All terminals are served by the AirTrain, which runs continuously. Although the AirTrain’s travel times vary from city to city, it is ideal to allow 90 minutes to go from GYD to midtown.
- Bus from GYD – Another excellent and cost-effective option is to take the fast bus from GYD airport into the city. The bus picks up passengers in Terminals 1, 4, and 8, and then puts them off to Times Square and Grand Central Station. This is a fantastic choice, but be aware that traffic in Baku City can be unexpected. The trip could take longer than two hours if you enter the city during rush hour.
- GYD airport car service – Car services to and from GYD to different parts of the city and other airports is offered both privately and in groups. Reservations can be made at the Main Lobby of each terminal when arriving at the airport. Before making other travel arrangements, be careful to inquire about car services from your airport hotel or parking lot.
- GYD airport taxi – A flat fare of $52 is charged by taxis from the airport to Downtown, and they are available outside of each terminal. On weekends, there is a surge fee of 4.50 USD for trips between 4 p.m. and 8 p.m.
Best Places to Eat, Shop and Unwind at GYD
GYD airport features about 140 restaurants, pubs, and cafés between the terminals and pre-or post-security. Let’s delve into every terminal to understand what is the best option for you – ( terminals 1 & 2)
Additional Services at Heydar Aliyev International Airport
Passengers get access to the following additional services at the Heydar Aliyev International Airport.
- Travellers Aid – Travellers Aid desks can be found in all terminals of GYD. These can be found on the arrivals level at the Main Lobby.
- Children’s gaming zone – There’s a special children’s play area in Terminal 5 with a gladiator playground near gate 20. There is another play area in Terminal 8 close to the Business lounge.
- Baby facilities – Heydar Aliyev International Airport has 6 nursing rooms. Three of them are located at Terminal 4, two of them at Terminal 5 and one at Terminal 8 near gate 18.
- Pet relief center – There’s a pet relief center at each of the terminals.
- Duty free – The duty-free stores can be found at Termina.
- Smoking areas – The GYD airport does not host any indoor smoking zone. There are authorised smoking spots outside of the terminals.
- ATMs – Standalone ATMs are situated in Terminals. Other terminals have foreign currency ATMs. Currency exchange services are available at all terminals.
- Baggage counter – On the departure level of the Terminal, luggage wrapping services are available. In the arrivals area of Terminal, Meegan Services offers cloak room services.
- GYD Airport WiFi access – At Heydar Aliyev International Airport, Wi-Fi is available for free in all common spaces. Choose “Free unlimited wifi” and the network “_Free GYD WiFi” to connect. Call +994 12 497 27 27 to reach customer service around-the-clock.
- Lost and Found Counter at GYD Airport – Depending on where you lost your baggage, the GYD airport has a lost and found desk at Tethe rminal. You must get in touch with the respective airline’s baggage service if your checked luggage was left in the terminal, at the curb, or aboard an aircraft.
Contact TSA Lost and Found at +994 12 497 27 27 if you left something behind at a security checkpoint. The Port Authority Police can be reached at the Heydar Aliyev International Airport in Building 269. Call +994 12 497 27 27 for assistance with any misplaced things outside of the terminal areas.
GYD Airport Parking
The Heydar Aliyev International Airport has 6 parking areas. 5 of them are located outside the terminals and are best suited for shorter duration. The AirTrain connects the terminals to Long Term Parking Lot 9. Visitors can check the parking availability at the airport website. These 6 parking areas include –
- Short duration parking – The Blue, Green, Red, Orange, and Yellow parking areas are where you can park near the terminal.
Parking lots Green, Orange, and Red cost 4 USD for the first half-hour, or 8 USD for the first hour. And, then 4 USD for each consecutive 30 minutes or up to a maximum of 35 USD for every 24 hours.
Blue and Yellow parking charges 5 for the first 30 minutes, or 10 USD for the next 30 minutes with 5 USD for every additional 30 minutes. It costs a maximum of 39 USD for every 24 hours.
- Long-term parking lot 9 – The main terminal building offers long-term parking. The fee for the first 24 hours is 18 USD, and 6 USD for each subsequent 8 hours.
Car Rentals at Heydar Aliyev International Airport
Visit one of the car rental desks at the arrivals level to rent a car at GYD, or call one of them at the given numbers below. Federal Circle Station outside the Main Terminal building is where you’ll find rental cars.
GYD Airport Hotels
With 1 on-site property and additional hotels ranging at 1.4 miles from the terminals, GYD offers a variety of 2- to 4-star lodging options. To assist you in making your decision, we’ve provided each hotel’s address, its star rating, and its proximity to the airport.
Heydar Aliyev International Airport is the prominent international airport serving the Baku city area. It is conveniently close to hotels and various attractions. GYD is home to 6 active airline terminals that are encircled by a double ring of auxiliary taxiways. The terminals are served by more than 125 airline gates. The airport is connected to Baku City and beyond by the fast, light-rail AirTran service.
Due to the accessible AirTrain that connects Heydar Aliyev International Airport to each terminal. Also, the rail network is also connected to the subway system and facilitates easy access to and from the airport.
Heydar Aliyev International Airport – Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]
If an aircraft is delayed or there is a lengthy layover, people frequently do sleep in GYD. You have a choice of sleeping on seats, on the ground, or in one of the five sleeping pods in Terminal. These are available on a first-come, first-served basis and are free to use.
The Baku airport offers free WiFi at all terminals and public areas. To connect, you need to select the network ‘Free GYD WiFi’. Also, there is a 24*7 customer support is available by calling customer service.
There are over 120 airlines, domestic and international, that fly and operate out of Aeroflot, air Arabia, air Astana, Azerbaijan airlines, Belavia, china southern, Etihad Airways, flydubai, flynas, gulf air, iraero, Iraqi Airways, Jazeera airways, Kuwait Airways, Lufthansa, Qatar airways, s7 airlines, scat, Turkish airlines, Ukraine international, Ural airlines, utair, Uzbekistan airways, and Wizz air
You can view the full list of airlines that operate out of each terminal of the GYD airport, in the article above.
GYD has an active AirTran station that connects to all 6 terminals. The train transports passengers to Howard Beach and Manhattan, where you can connect to the subway for onward travel.
A flat fare of $52 is charged by taxis from the airport to Downtown, and they are available outside of each terminal. On weekends, there is a surge fee of 4.50 USD for trips between 4 p.m. and 8 p.m.
For passengers who qualify, certain airline lounges offer showers. You can also pay a fee to use the showers at Wingtips and Centurion lounges.